Because prescription glasses, contact lenses and prescription sunglasses aren’t covered by Medicare, many turn to private health funds that include optical benefits to reduce vision costs.
Our team will help you maximise your claim and reduce any out-of-pocket expenses, so you get the most value out of your optical benefits.
What Does Medicare Cover?
Anyone holding a current Medicare card can access their full Medicare rebate:
- One comprehensive eye test every three years* (for those under 65 years)
- One comprehensive eye test every year* (if you’re 65 +)
- Contact lens consultations (within a specific range of optical prescriptions)
- Comprehensive eye tests as needed in lesser time frames (if you have an eye condition, such as glaucoma or macular degeneration which needs regular monitoring)
- Visual Fields examinations once every 6 months (if you have a condition which requires monitoring with this test)
- *If you are experiencing new symptoms or vision difficulties in less than these time frames, please call our team it is important to check these changes rather than wait and in some cases, we can provide a Medicare rebate in less than standard times required by Medicare.
Are All Eye Tests Covered by Medicare?
Not all tests are covered at Eyes by Design. We believe in using the most advanced technology to take care of your eye health. We include retinal imaging and OCT (Optical Coherence Tomography) for any comprehensive eye exam for patients over 30 years of age. For patients under 30 years of age, the eye exam includes retinal imaging. These tests incur an out-of-pocket cost.
What About Private Health Funds?
Private health funds don’t typically cover eye tests, but depending on your policy, they may cover up to 100% of the cost of frames, prescription lenses, or contact lenses.
Our Team are Here To Help You With Your Private Health Fund
Whether you’re looking for contact lenses, glasses, or the latest in designer brand frames, we’re here to assist you by helping you claim optical benefits on the spot, thus reducing out-of-pocket expenses.
We Accept All Health Funds At Eyes by Design Optometrists
We provide both routine eye care and a huge range of optical choices, we can process your Medicare claim and your health fund on-site. If you need help figuring out your coverage, we invite you to call our practice for guidance before you come in for your visit. Our team has extensive experience working with Medicare and all private health funds and we will be glad to help you understand what benefits are available for you. View All Our accepted health funds here.